Job Title: Software Engineer
Location: Frontier Silicon, Cambridge
Function: Advanced Technology Group
Reporting to: Software Manager – Advanced Technology
Frontier Silicon requires a Software Engineer to join our Advanced Technology Group based in our Cambridge R&D Centre. You will be part of a small team working on applied research and advanced development of new innovative software technologies for use in current and future products. These technologies are in the field of consumer audio, wireless technology, wearables and IoT devices. You will have a genuine interest in the practical application of leading edge technology to create class- leading products and user experiences that consumers love.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks
- Develop core software technology for use in future products and support internal project teams integrating and deploying it in customer deliverables.
- Working closely with colleagues in product marketing, investigate feasibility and develop concepts and prototypes for new technologies, products and applications.
- Identify opportunities for technology-driven differentiation and innovation in current and future products.
- Conduct research into current and emerging technologies and report on their applicability to current and future products.
- Maintain up-to-date expertise on relevant standards and technologies and act as a technology consultant to internal customers in engineering, marketing and management.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with academic and commercial technology partners and work together on collaborative projects.
- Help develop and promote appropriate processes and best practice within the team.
Qualifications & Skills
- Good honours degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or a related discipline.
- Highly proficient in C/C++ or assembler embedded programming.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- 1-2 years of commercial experience of embedded software development, or similar experience gained through personal, academic, or community projects.
- Experience of wireless communications, networking or audio applications.
- Experience of embedded software development for Linux or RTOS.
- Wireless communication technologies, protocols and standards e.g. OFDM, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, DAB/FM
- TCP/IP networking technologies, protocols and standards e.g. IP, UDP, TCP, NTP
- Audio/video codecs and formats e.g. MPEG-4, AAC, MP3, MP2
- DSP algorithms for audio processing – e.g. equalisers, limiters, compressors, mixers, virtualisers, spatialisers
- Media streaming protocols and standards e.g. RTP, RTSP, HTTP, HLS, MPEG-DASH
- Web services, protocols and technologies e.g. HTTP/XML, JSON, REST
- GCC, make, CVS, SVN, Git, Bugzilla, JIRA, JIRA Agile, MS Office, MS Project
- UML, SysML
- Linux, Android, iOS
- Agile development
- Excellent team player with strong inter-personal skills and a desire to meet the needs of internal customers and stakeholders.
- Able to plan, manage and report on own work.
- Able to communicate ideas and issues clearly and simply.
- Flexible and willing to adapt, with an ability to prioritise and multitask.
- Quick learner, able to pick up new skills and technologies easily.
- Highly productive and results-driven.
- Creative thinker and problem solver.
- Systematic and thorough with strong attention to detail.
- Pragmatic and able to compromise where appropriate.
Advanced Technology Group
Frontier Silicon’s Advanced Technology Group is responsible for research and development of new innovative technologies applicable to the company’s products in the Smart Audio and Smart Home space.
Working within our key technology areas, we explore new ideas and concepts at the intersections of hardware, embedded software, wireless communication, cloud and apps.
We develop proof-of-concept protypes in an agile development process to help turn abstract ideas and concepts into tangible solutions. We develop core technology building blocks and deliver them to production quality. We work in teams with product management and product engineering to integrate our technology into products that ship in millions to the world’s leading consumer electronics brands.
We are now looking for bright and enthusiastic engineers with a passion for technology to join our growing team. If you thrive on innovation and technical challenges and are the kind of person who can make a difference then we want to hear from you.
About Frontier Smart Technologies Group
Frontier Smart Technologies Group is a pioneer in software and hardware technologies for Digital Audio devices. Operating under the name of Frontier Silicon, the company provides technology solutions for Digital Radio and Smart Audio devices.
Frontier is the world leader in chips and modules for consumer DAB digital radios. In 2015, the company released its fourth generation chip which is now being adopted by major consumer audio brands. As a pioneer in the field, Frontier plays a leading role in promoting the adoption of digital radio around the world.
The company is using this base as a platform for developing a similar leadership position in Smart Audio (providing solutions for Wi-Fi enabled audio devices). In June 2015, Frontier announced that it was working on a new solution incorporating Google’s Cast for audio technology. In September 2016, the company announced its first design win for this new solution, with Harman JBL, the world’s largest speaker company.
Frontier was founded in 2002. Customers include many leading consumer audio brands: Bose, Bowers & Wilkins, Denon, Grundig, harman/kardon (JBL), Onkyo, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Pure, Roberts, Sony, TechniSat, Yamaha, and many more.
The company is headquartered in London, with engineering, sales and operations teams in Cambridge (UK), Timisoara (Romania), Hong Kong, and Shenzhen (China).