Location: Frontier Silicon, Cambridge
Function: Advanced Technology Group
Reporting to: Software Manager
Advanced Technology Group
Frontier Silicon’s Advanced Technology Group is responsible for research and development of new innovative technologies applicable to the company’s products in the Smart Audio and Smart Home space.
Working within our key technology areas, we explore new ideas and concepts at the intersections of hardware, embedded software, wireless communication, cloud and apps.
We develop proof-of-concept protypes in an agile development process to help turn abstract ideas and concepts into tangible solutions. We develop core technology building blocks and deliver them to production quality. We work in teams with product management and product engineering to integrate our technology into products that ship in millions to the world’s leading consumer electronics brands.
We are now looking for bright and enthusiastic engineers with a passion for technology to join our growing team. If you thrive on innovation and technical challenges and are the kind of person who can make a difference then we want to hear from you.
Frontier Silicon requires a Senior Developer to join our Advanced Technology Group based in Cambridge. You will be part of a team defining and developing new and innovative web services, APIs, back-end databases and analytics.
You will work closely with product managers, hardware engineers, embedded software engineers and application developers to help create the next generation of Smart Audio and Smart Home devices and apps for some of the world’s leading consumer electronics audio brands.
You must have experience of developing with Ruby on Rails as well as other relevant technologies.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks
- Web service software architecture and design.
- Hands-on server software development, test, debug, deployment and support.
- Software specification and documentation.
- Project planning and technical leadership.
Qualifications & Skills
- Good honours degree in Computer Science or a related discipline.
- 5+ years experience of software systems architecture, design and development.
- Strong experience of developing with Ruby on Rails is a must.
- Proven track-record of developing and deploying Linux-hosted web services at scale.
- Passionate about creating beautiful REST + JSON APIs.
- Experience of MySQL database design issues and techniques (data models, queries, indexing, cacheing, mirroring, sharding etc.)
- Good understanding of web security threats and solutions.
- Experience of working in an Agile development process (e.g. SCRUM).
- Tools such as Rake, Git, SVN, JIRA.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A personal interest in audio and music is a distinct advantage.
- Highly collaborative team player.
- A creative thinker and problem-solver with a proactive can-do attitude.
- A quick learner, able to pick up new skills and technologies easily.
- Excellent communicator – able get to get across ideas and concepts quickly and simply to technical and non-technical audiences.
- A highly productive, results-driven and self-motivated individual.